Welcome to the experience blogspot of AIESEC the Netherlands! On the left you can filter out the experience stories you are looking for; Global Internship Program (management) or Global Community Development Program (development), continents, countries and special projects like the Nour project and the Ambassadors program. Get inspired!

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us on blogspot.aiesec@gmail.com

3.5.13

Experience: Sebastian Zweiphenning, Phnom Penh, Cambodia


Internship description
From the 3rd of July until 31th of August I taught English to young adults in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Part of my job was to prepare the classes by creating new teaching material, preferably digital material with a lot of multimedia features. Also, I took off intake interviews to determine the students speaking and listening level and was a test controller. The focus of my classes was mostly on pronunciation and increasing  the student’s  vocabulary level. By focusing on pronunciation and increasing vocabulary, the students become more accustomed to the western (perhaps European English) pronunciation and increase their listening skills. As welcome side benefit, students become less shy and more eager to talk to western (or Caucasian) people.

My classes were scheduled from 5.30 until 7.30 pm. I taught classes with an average class size of twenty students.  The classes were taught in cooperation with Sjuul Coenen and most of the time a Cambodian teacher. In total I cooperated with four different Cambodian teachers and taught four different classes.


Internship experience

Before my first day of real teaching, which occurred on July .., I was extremely nervous. I had never been one for public speaking, and so didn’t know how I would do positioned at the front of the classroom for the whole period. But, as soon as I began my first class, it became clear to me just how nervous my students were about speaking English. When I realized this, that they were more nervous than I was, I felt more at ease and my apprehension was replaced with a desire to see become better and less shy.
           
 From that first day on, each class period was a test of my creative skills and ability to work around language barriers. Although sometimes, the Cambodian teacher had to jump in to translate whole sentences I put on the blackboard.  I had no prior information about my students, except that I was teaching the “young adults”. In the first week I asked every student in every class I taught to introduce his or herself. “Young adults” apparently means the age of ten up to twenty-three. In the last two weeks we even had a student who was at least thirty-five years old.  However, this did nothing to help me assess their English abilities or give me any foreknowledge of what to expect. When I first addressed my students, I was met with a roomful of blank looks. I realized that I couldn’t speak as easily and quickly as I would with a native English speaker. I also employed more body language than I normally would in everyday conversation. The combination of these adjustments made for smoother communication and also caused me to reevaluate my own speech patterns. 

The classes were meant to be conversational with only a little emphasis on writing, in order to build the students’ listening comprehension and fluency.  Sjuul Coenen, the student with whom I taught together, received three books: Takeaway one, two and three. He also received a one week schedule wherein it said which page (only one or 2 pages) we had to teach to which class. After the first week, it was up to us to create lesson content  and choose appropriate lesson material. As long as we incorporated the general idea of what they were learning in the textbook. We decided to choose themes for every week and build lessons around those themes. Examples of themes we used are: the zoo, packing for holiday, sports, etc. For the classes that we had to teach about Time for example, we combined conversations about the zoo with different times and made games wherein they had to guess the time. The lack of a real schedule made the class more informal than what I was accustomed to in the Netherlands. But, on the other hand, it helped to strengthen my organizational and creativity skills as well.

The first question that popped up in my head when preparing classes was: “how can I entertain them for hour?”. I thought back to the numerous classes I had attended during my schooling, and had a sudden appreciation for the preparation those teachers put into their own lessons. Students with similar internship experiences had advised me to just be creative and have fun with my students. Using this advice, I searched web sites for interesting activities and lesson ideas. After the first few weeks, however, I resorted to the Internet less and less, as I was able to find inspiration within my students and myself. By assessing my students’ weaknesses, I was able to plan my lessons around improving them.

    Specifically, I noticed that my students had trouble using the tenses correctly. To address this issue, I did several activities with them. During another class, one student asked me to explain the differences between could, should and would. This was one of the most difficult concepts for them to grasp. But, fortunately for me, such difficulties gave me a focus for my lesson plans. In another class, I noticed that the large majority of the students didn’t pronounce the s to make the plural of words. I addressed this issue by making “the snake game” out of it. When you use the s on the correct moment you are still in the game, when you do not use it at the right moment you are out. The last person in the game wins. Sometimes, even the Cambodian teacher asked me what certain words meant. By translating these words into Khmer I picked up some Khmer vocabulary along the way. My students really appreciated it when I addressed them by their Khmer names and when I tried to use Khmer words sometimes.

     This internship experience brought with it many minor obstacles. My initial lack of confidence and dislike for public speaking was the first hurdle. Because of these two things, I was proud of how well I adapted to the role of being a teacher. By expressing outward self-assurance and filling the room with creative energy, I was able to successfully lead my classes. As a student, I have always enjoyed a passionate, active teacher and so wished to bring that to the classroom.


  Another obstacle, due to my inability to speak Khmer, was the constant language barrier that accompanied each class. If my students lacked the English vocabulary to understand something, I couldn’t translate the word into their own language. The existence of this difficulty forced me to supplement my speaking with hand gestures and body language. As a result, I implemented body language to a degree never reached when speaking with a fluent English speaker. When this did not help, I asked the Cambodian teacher to join in.
           
 As with any experience, the internship had both positives and negatives. The main downside was the lack of guidelines for teaching material. Since I had no prior experience with teaching, I had little idea of what to expect. Furthermore, without any schedule, I sometimes doubted myself and wondered what I might have been overlooking. Luckily, the use of a textbook in class gave me some foundation to build upon. On the other hand, I generally thrived in the freedom with which I could construct my classes and enjoyed the unique responsibility. Another point that often annoyed me was the transport arranged by the school. We were supposed to be picked up at 17.00 everyday but sometimes, there was no tuktuk-driver at all and sometimes he was just late half an hour late. I had the same problem on the way back.

            I also liked that the internship was a great opportunity for me to improve my communication abilities and tactics. I was also able to gather a better understanding and appreciation for intercultural communication. Interacting with my students and Cambodian Teacher taught me about the Cambodian culture as well as my own, since I was able to look at my cultural practices from the viewpoint of my students. For example, I noticed a lot of non verbal communication: Cambodians never say no, they will just evade the question or give a vague answer.

My presence in the form of public speaking has grown more confident and capable.
The most enjoyable part of this experience, however, was the fulfillment of it. It was
satisfying to not only see my students make progress, but to know that I had been a large part of the source of their growth. Learning others to communicate in English is the most worthwhile thing I have done so far with my English knowledge. I had the idea that it will greatly benefit them in the future to get the career they want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment