Welcome to the experience blogspot of AIESEC the Netherlands! On the left you can filter out the experience stories you are looking for; Global Internship Program (management) or Global Community Development Program (development), continents, countries and special projects like the Nour project and the Ambassadors program. Get inspired!

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us on blogspot.aiesec@gmail.com

3.5.13

Experience: Sanne Klifman, Delhi, India



After my graduation I wanted to go abroad and a Development Traineeship with AIESEC seemed to be a great opportunity. I planned to do a traineeship in Delhi during the first two months of my stay and afterwards I wanted to travel. Some of my relatives were surprised when I informed them that I wanted to go to India because India is crowded, poor, dirty, extremely warm (I went in summer period), smelly, noisy, polluted and so on.., but even though this is all true, India is an incredible country! I had a great time in India; it was a great experience and I had a lot of fun!

My traineeship..
I agreed to participate in sessions about HIV/AIDS in order to inform youngsters about this subject. First of all, I was supposed to be trained by an NGO and afterwards I was supposed to be able to educate about HIV/AIDS. This DT was a project organized by AIESEC Delhi University (DU) and they arrange the NGOs and sessions. By the time of my arrival in Delhi the project was not really organized, or maybe I should say not organized at all… I decided to accompany some other AIESEC trainees who were having a similar project. We were able to speak to doctors about HIV/AIDS, went to a slum area to see the projects of harm reduction (e.g. drug addicts can get free clean needles and are informed about the risks of using drugs) and went to a women’s rehab centre.  After two weeks their project was finished and I had the opportunity to spend some more time in the women’s rehab. There were about 10 women staying in this rehab and during the day they were having activities like Yoga, making jewelry and post cards, literacy classes, and of course sessions with a counselor. In addition to the rehab there was also a crèche and a small school for poor kids from this neighborhood. I spend almost one month at this place and most of the time I was joining the women with their activities or I was helping in the crèche. Although I didn’t really have my own tasks I tried to help them whenever I could and gave a lot of attention to the women and kids.

My personal experience
Going to India for a traineeship was a great experience! This traineeship affected me a lot. I learned that life is good in the Netherlands; we don’t have to worry about money that much, we are able to choose what we would like to do in life (work/study) and we are able to choose who we love (we don’t have arranged marriages). These things are often taken for granted… This trip also changed me on the personal level. For example, I’m well organized but my traineeship wasn’t at all! I didn’t panic and decided that I didn’t want to wait for AIESEC (because they were not responding to my request to find something else) and waste my time, so that is why I arranged some work by myself.

AIESEC Delhi
During my stay in Delhi, I met my AIESEC coach twice and he is the only person of AIESEC DU that I met! AIESEC DU didn’t really organize activities, drinks, trips or anything.. I have to admit that they organized a meeting once, but they only informed the trainees a couple of hours in advance so everyone was already gone for the weekend of having other plans! To my point of view this doesn’t really work out this way… Although AIESEC DU is not what it should be, the AIESEC trainees were great! I lived in an AIESEC apartment and my flat mates and I were going out for dinners, drinks, sightseeing, parties etc with other AIESEC trainees. There are always many trainees in Delhi and these trainees are having a lot of fun together! So if you are planning to come to Delhi, focus on the trainees instead of the LC…

Incredible India
India is a huge country with a lot of different regions, habits, climates, subcultures etc. There is a lot to see; like beautiful places in the mountains and the Himalayas, the desert, national parks with wildlife, beaches and of course huge cities! Like many Asian countries there are a lot of temples and historical buildings in India but besides these cultural places of interest there are a lot of other things to do and so see. Travelling in colorful India is a must!


I recommend everyone who is thinking of going abroad to go for an AIESEC traineeship. AIESEC gives you the possibility to combine doing something good (a DT) or practice what you’ve learned during your studies (MT) with having a great time abroad. So don’t hesitate and arrange a traineeship…J.  When you are still hesitating or having some questions, feel free to contact me for more information: sanneklifman@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment