Welcome to the experience blogspot of AIESEC the Netherlands! On the left you can filter out the experience stories you are looking for; Global Internship Program (management) or Global Community Development Program (development), continents, countries and special projects like the Nour project and the Ambassadors program. Get inspired!

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us on blogspot.aiesec@gmail.com

3.5.13

Experience: Tipo Chaudry, Bolivia


This past summer I have been on an internship with AIESEC to Cochabamba, Bolivia. I was in Bolivia for about 7 weeks, from 3-7-2012 till 18-8-2012. In this period I worked for an NGO called Centro Integral Warmi (Warmi), which supports underprivileged children with a safe and healthy environment to become fully-fledged citizens. This story will elaborate on my experiences in Bolivia and will include the culture, job, AIESEC, and the impact it had on me.
Bolivia is a beautiful country with many sites to see. A first thing, I noticed when I was in Bolivia was that the culture is really warm. Whenever you tell anyone that you are from outside of Bolivia, everyone is immediately interested and eager to talk to you. Furthermore, everyone is extremely helpful, which enabled me to get used to the culture, country, and city relatively quickly. I was quite surprised by this, since I did not speak too much Spanish and could only understand about 80% per cent of it. Initially, I thought that I would be able to manage with English, but the majority of the country does not speak English. Secondly, Bolivians have a really small personal space. Initially, I was really uncomfortable with the way everyone greeted you, with a kiss on the cheek. Even worse were the trufis (a taxi with a fixed route), which I had to take a work on a daily basis, since these taxis would be filled until no space was left. Sometimes people almost sat on your lap for like 15 minutes, really uncomfortable.
Working in Bolivia seems almost unreal. The mentality and way of working is completely different than in the Netherlands. At Warmi I was supposed to responsible for fundraising. However, from the first day onwards I already noticed that the backbone in order to be able to fundraise was missing and that number of essential documents and mechanisms were just missing. After convincing, the organization of the fact that no organization would ever donate money if these elements were not in place; I could focus on these essentials.  In my period at Warmi, I together with other AIESEC-trainees updated the website, organized their activities on social media, and created some essentials documents, like a standardized letter.
                  Interestingly, Bolivian organizations hardly care about administrative work. In many of my conversations with other volunteers from different organizations, I heard that organizational-wise the organizations they worked at were a mess, like mine. Nevertheless, their organizations were all running as they were supposed to do, which is really incredible, especially if you realize that an organization in the Netherlands can only function if it has a decent organizational backbone.
                  Even though, I had some struggles with AIESEC both in Bolivia and Tilburg before my departure, I really loved my AIESEC internship. Due to the fact that I did have some special arrangements with AIESEC Tilburg, I was more dependent on my coach, who was not great. Luckily, I could change coach and was able to apply successfully for an internship in Bolivia. The Bolivian mentality and responsiveness was terrible though, so it took quite some time to get everything complete arranged. However, once I arrived in Bolivia everything was great. I was picked up at the airport by several people from AIESEC Cochabamba, who took me to my “house” and immediately invited me to a party in the evening. AIESEC Cochabamba was really active and arranged many activities for the interns, which was great since in this way it was easy to meet Bolivians.
                  As in my opinion every experience abroad my internship in Bolivia opened my eyes. I was extremely surprised by the fact that an organization could be running without the organizational backbone. It proved once again that there are more ways to Rome, and that the Western way is not the only way. Nevertheless, I still believe that our way is still more practical. Furthermore, I experienced how it is to work full-time for the first time in my life, and it is exhausting. The attitude towards work is also different in Bolivia, and made me more aware of my own attitude. Also, I have improved my Spanish and realized that I want to learn Spanish. In addition, I believe that I have grown as a person. Working in a completely different environment pushes you to edge in some situations, sometimes you just have to put your foot down in order to get things done, even when you are communicating with the management.
                  In sum, I would say that my AIESEC internship has been amazing. I have made friends for life and had an experience of a lifetime. The internship has showed me aspects of the job that I would not have experienced in any other setting and has made me a more open-minded person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment